I practically live off of salsa. No joke.
The hubs tries his best to get his share, but I'm quite a hog when it comes to this stuff.
Yesterday he poured the bag of chips in a bowl, topped the chips with salsa, and ate it with a spoon saying a new cereal was in town. We. Love. This. Stuff.
Love as in we made sure there will be a space for the ingredients to grow in our garden
so we can always have salsa on hand.
Love as in I cook my chicken in it, pour it over every dish, and eat it for lunch on a regular basis.
After much recipe trying and tasting, we came up with our own salsa recipe!
What you will need:
- 6 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes (optional, for a roasted flavor. I just use it when its on sale!)
- 1/3 C. green onion, chopped
- 1/4 C. onion, chopped
- 1/4 C. fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2-3 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 heaping tsp. cumin
- 1 heaping tsp. black pepper
- 2 tsp. salt
- juice from one lime
Toss all ingredients in food processor or blender and pulse until salsa has reached desired consistency.
If needed, adjust ingredients to your liking.
Eat, enjoy, and find yourself swearing you'll never get the store bought salsa again. :)
- This makes a BIG batch of salsa. Feel free to cut in half, though we always seem to need more.
- The spicy level on this one is medium/hot. Cut down or increase jalapenos for what you like.
- I often substitute the jalapenos for 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper, I always forget to buy jalapenos!
- The nice thing about salsa is that it is so customizable, tweek to your liking!
- Store in an air tight container in the fridge, it should keep fresh at least a week but honestly I haven't had mine in the fridge longer than three days!