Tuesday, January 17, 2012

DIY: Scrap Fabric Wreath

My house, like a lot of houses, has a neutral exterior. So a bright wreath is usually on our door to add a bit of a "pop" of color.
 On Sunday (oh how I love Sundays) I decided it was time for a new wreath. One that wouldn't take all day to make and even cost me a dime. So I turned my creative juices on, pulled out a hanger, dug through my scrap fabric bin, and got to work.
Well, after about an hour of tying knots, this is what I came up with:



Love. I absolutely love the cheery red color on my front door. This wreath is so easy, cost effective, and quick to make!

Here is what you need to make your own:

-1 wire hanger from your closet. (If for some reason you don't have one laying around, come to my house!)
-Fabric of your choice. I just used what I already had. A lightweight fabric works best in my opinion. But you can really use anything. I think I used about 3/4 of a yard.
-Oh, and scissors to cut your fabric.

Tutorial:



Shape your wire hanger to form a circle(ish). It doesn't have to be perfect, just do what you can.
(I pushed the top of the hook down to form more of a circle to stabilize my wreath once its on my door, that's optional though.)

Cut your fabric into strips. You can make them however wide you want. Just know the thicker the strip the more full your wreath will be.

Then cut your strip into rectangle pieces so you have this:



My strips are about 2 1/2 inches wide and 7 inches long, but I just eyeballed it.

If you're not sure how wide or long you want your strips, go bigger, you can always cut them down.

Then simply tie the strip around the hanger.



Then repeat again and again until your hanger is full.



Fluff the strips, tighten any loose knots, and trim those random pieces that stick out until you reach the peak of perfection (or until you are ready to get started on dinner because you can't stop thinking about your stomach growling, like I did.)



Then step back and love what you just made for how little you spent!

It would be so fun to mix different colors, You will definitely see more of these in the future! :)




6 comments:

  1. SO CUTE! How festive and fun for Valentines Day.... Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so adorable! I love the color too, but then I'm a RED fan. I may just have to try this one out! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kat says: Love, love it! Tonight's project...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is brilliant! I'll have to try this, for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind words!